A few weeks ago I helped out a little with the Pratt Disaster Resilience Network's video submission for MoMA PS1's call for ideas for a sustainable Rockaway waterfront. I've seen a few other entries, and they've all been great so far.
See if you can spot my hands in the video.
I'm very proud of our group, Adductor + Pad, and all the good things we accomplished in our studio this semester. Thanks guys.
I've included below the presentation we gave for Pratt PSPD faculty and students last Saturday. Enjoy!
It's been a long semester, and our urban design project (at least our presentation board) is effectively finished after tonight.
Above is an illustration from the cutting room floor - we're trying to emphasize our design's connection to the Harlem River and the multiple ways it encourages access to the water. Our visual language moved away from axonometric illustrations, so it didn't make it into the presenation.
On the Bronx side at least, most areas near the water are fenced off like Roberto Clemente State Park below. After a recent drowning, there are now calls for raising the fence height. We envision a closer, more understanding relationship with the water.
Midterm presentations are today, and I'll put up some images from that later on.
Our early proposals for the Bronx-side bridge site included multiple pedestrian safety improvements and new connections to the existing green space cut off (and created by) the Major Deegan Expressway. In the bottom right is a new ferry/waterbus landing to complete a new blueway connecting the Harlem River communities with the East River and Hudson River.
Since this was created we've gotten more ambitious and creative with what we want to see on the site - as planning students we've struggled to break away from constraints on feasibility, ownership, and cost - to simply design without limitations. It's been a good exercise (and refreshing!) to abandon our traditional concerns for this project.
We just finished our first week as a group, and put together a few diagrams of some of our recommendations for the Harlem River site. We got lots of feedback and we're starting the next iteration. If all goes well, we should have something new to present each week.
Last night our studio presented preliminary models outlining some of our ideas for the Harlem River site.
The work represented our last efforts on our own to develop our ideas about how we'd like to see the site. The point was to think big, sketch broadly, and convey a clear idea. The class responded with a broad range of techniques and styles, but I got the sense that we tended to circle around many of the same ideas: connections, access, ecology.
I did what I could to get photos of everyone's models, but I apologize for the cell phone quality.
Our first project for the beginning of studio was to start developing a visual language for our site, describing some existing conditions. My group, Land Use, focused on how land use decisions attracted or repelled visitors to the Harlem River (spoiler: it mostly repels).
Our approach was a little different than some of the other groups, but so far the work of my classmates has been impressive. More to come.
experiments in assigning the island's geography. I think I'm missing the plugins to really divide up the geometry correctly. Colors need revision as well